ABU Radio Asia Conference and Radio Song Festival 2019 an outstanding success
The three-day Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) Radio Asia Conference and Radio Song Festival 2019, hosted by Bangladesh Betar and Bangladesh TV in Dhaka, concluded on a high note with a Gala performance showcasing the musical talent of the region’s outstanding singers.
The theme of this year’s conference is “Radio All Around Us: More than just a medium.” The three day event included thought provoking sessions, showcases, workshops, a masterclass on media literacy and debate on the value of Radio in the digital age. An exhibition of different radio collectibles and community radio was also showcased at InterContinental Dhaka.
The conference and festival were inaugurated by Dr Hasan Mahmud, MP, Honourable Minister, Ministry of Information and special guests Dr Md Murad Hasan, MP, State Minister, Ministry of Information and while Mr. Abdul Malek, Secretary, Ministry of Information, presided over the three day event.
The Song Festival 2019 Gala took place live with performers from eight nations across the Asia-Pacific region taking to the stage, with special cultural performances from the host country opening and closing the show.
The list of participating nations and their songs are as follows:
• Bangladesh (BTV) – Anupoma Mukti – The Wind of Spring
• Indonesia (RRI) – Debora – Because I Can
• Iran (SMC) -Mohsen Mirzazadeh – Long Sea
• Maldives – Hassan Irufaan – The Surf Monster
• Nepal (Radio Tulsipur) – Prabisha Adhikari – My soul seeks to have you in the dusk
• Sri Lanka (MBC) – Asanka Sahabandu – Southern Skies
• Turkmenistan (TVTM) – Shamyrat Hojagylyyev – Smile My Darling
• Vietnam (VOV) – Dieu Huong – Waiting for Lover on a Wharf
Sri Lanka and Iran are both returning to the event for the first time since 2014. While the host nation of Bangladesh is making their debut appearance at the event.