3rd ABU Media Summit on Climate Change and DRR Kicks Off in Dhaka this week
Two days of intense discussions on climate change and disaster risk reduction are scheduled in Dhaka, Bangladesh from 10-12 May, 2017. The theme of the summit this year is Information For All: Media Saving Lives.
This Summit presents an opportunity for ABU members to be part of the global movement to prepare wide audiences for future calamities in the Asia-Pacific region. Over 200 imminent experts and media practitioners from around the globe will join the Summit to develop practical projects to put media at the heart of education for climate change adaptation and disaster preparedness.
The summit is fully supported by the Government of Bangladesh. During the opening ceremony, the Minister of Finance (Chief Guest) and the Minister of Information (Special Guest) of Bangladesh will address the audience.
The themes of the different sessions are as follows:
- Session 1: Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals – Challenges and Successes
- Session 2: Climate Change and Society
- Session 3: Serving the People – Science for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
- Session 4:Communication Climate Change – Challenges and Solutions
- Session 5: Walking the Last Mile
- Session 6: Building Resilient Communities – Smart Village Concept
- Session 7: Early Warnings for Earthquakes and Tsunami – An NHK Masterclass
- Session 8: Content for Climate Change Literacy and Disaster Literacy
The summit will adopt the Dhaka Declaration. This will be an Action Plan for ABU members to prepare their organisation and staff to fulfill their most important public mandate – to save lives and prepare audiences for future disasters through timely, quality programmes that reach all members of the society.