On this page you will find resources of interest to our Journalism courses. These resources support the work of the ABU in this area and are also useful for research and assignments in a range of other academy training courses.
Resources are updated continuously. You will see the most recently added 50 links and saved files of relevance in this area of study.
- The last 12 months have brought into sharp focus the extent to which media freedom is under threat. In the last year, those threats have accelerated due to the pandemic, with unscrupulous regimes introducing oppressive legal measures under the guise of tackling disinformation, using increasingly sophisticated methods to control online information, and continuing their clampdown on critical journalism. Tags: legal defamation Management journalism
- “Puck is a platform for smart, engaging (and, yes, occasionally dishy) journalism owned and operated by the journalists themselves,” says the website, which states that it’s looking to narrow the divide between elite creators and their audience. It raised a US$7 million Series-A funding round from the likes of TPG Capital and 40 North Media, and has execs from Luminary, The Athletic, Vanity Fair and the New York Times managing […]
- How newsrooms use AI #1 – Suggesting content to readers #2 – Monitoring the news #3 – Writing stories Tags: News AI artificial_intelligence Management
- The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has published new figures that show significant investment by the subscription video on demand (SVOD) sector into local screen content. The data shows that global streaming platforms Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Netflix, as well as Nine-owned local platform Stan, spent over $153 million combined on Australian programming in 2019 and 2020. The report found that over 80% of the expenditure from the four […]
- With a monopoly and captive audience, media giant Singapore Press Holdings should have remained the country’s dominant player. The Drum finds out why the publisher failed to turn a profit as it sought digital transformation. Tags: advertising Management
- In the postpandemic future of work, nine out of ten organizations will be combining remote and on-site working, according to a new McKinsey survey of 100 executives across industries and geographies.1 The survey confirms that productivity and customer satisfaction have increased during the pandemic. Tags: Management
- Return as a muscle: How lessons from COVID-19 can shape a robust operating model for hybrid and beyond | McKinseyNew research shows how resilient organizations thrived through the pandemic. Here’s how to use those lessons to craft a better approach to how work gets done across time (real and asynchronous) and space (digital and physical). Tags: Management
- Creating an effective top team starts with behavioral improvement and teamwork in leadership. Increasingly, the top team is essential to the success of the enterprise. Indeed, Welch is celebrated not only for increasing GE's revenues nearly sevenfold in his 20-year tenure but also for building one of the world's strongest executive talent portfolios, which has provided new leadership for many Fortune 500 companies besides GE. Tags: Management
- These images are so crafted and "painterly" that you may not realise at first they have been dreamed up by a machine in just a few minutes. Maybe you've seen one already, but not realised what it was. These images are the product of a new AI-generated art scene that's exploded thanks to the development of free and easy-to-use tools that require (at the very least) short text prompts to […]
- French television network TV5Monde said Wednesday it had been hacked by individuals claiming to belong to the Islamic State (IS) group, who brought television broadcasts to a halt and hijacked its websites and social networks. Tags: Hacking cyber_security Management technical
- A powerful cyber-attack came close to destroying a French TV network, its director-general has told the BBC. TV5Monde was taken off air in April 2015. Tags: hacking cyber_security Management technical
- New details have emerged relating to a hack attack against French broadcaster TV5Monde, which resulted in multiple television channels going dark as well as social media channels run by the broadcaster being hijacked and used to spew apparent jihadist propaganda. Tags: hacking cyber_security Management technical
- The international French television channel TV5 was the victim of a massive hacking by “cyber jihadists” claiming to be from Islamic State (Isis) who blocked transmissions and hijacked the channel’s website as well as its Facebook and Twitter accounts. The hackers posted jihadist propaganda messages, and jammed the station's computer system, forcing the channel to broadcast pre-recorded programmes for several hours. According to a source close to the investigation cited […]
- How to build more caring and resilient teams: Graeme Cowan's new podcast Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/how-build-more-caring-and-resilient-teams-graeme-cowans-new-podcast © Radioinfo.com.auAfter a career and personal crisis that saw him battle depression for five years, Graeme emerged stronger and is now a thought leader and ‘resilience expert.’ Tags: Management Leadership
- The Caring CEO: #5: George Savvides, Chairman SBS – Putting Level 5 Leadership into action on Apple PodcastsHandling toxic team members and other experiences that caring leaders face. Tags: management
- Part 2 of this podcast about managing new ways of work after the pandemic. Tags: management Covid remote_work
- A podcast about managing remote and office working post pandemic. Part 1 Tags: management Covid remote_work
- Very few organizations will avoid the effects of the pandemic. Those that have been most adversely affected can turn to restructuring solutions as markets emerge from the crisis. Stronger companies, meanwhile, can begin thinking about expanding on the other side of that equation, seeking to acquire new businesses or entering new markets. For companies concerned they may need to act to save their business, there are four key steps: Tags: […]
- Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, leadership has been put to the test. It is increasingly clear that to emerge from the crisis stronger and more resilient requires rethinking what it means to lead and prioritizing purpose, trust, empathy and inclusivity. Young Global Leaders share their views on what traits will be needed to lead in the future. Tags: management Covid
- Going Digital. A Roadmap for Organisational Transformation | Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism“Legacy media need to put as much emphasis on transforming their organisations as they do transforming their content” – this is the premise underlying ‘Going Digital. A Roadmap for Organisational Transformation’, a new research report by Lucy Kueng, Google Digital News Senior Research Fellow at the Reuters Institute. How are media firms approaching the challenges of increasing agility, merging the cultures of journalism and tech, and handling the ceaseless stream […]
View more resource library links here.